This recipe is a turning point for so many! Kids think they do not like tomatoes until they try this. It's SO good!
3 roma tomatoes, diced – or one 15oz can of petite diced tomatoes, drained
3 cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
4 T olive oil
1 ½ T balsamic vinegar
4 tablespoons fresh basil, cut into strips
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. fresh cracked pepper
Italian bread, cut about 1 inch thick – Cut on the diagonal or straight across for rounds
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1. Whisk together vinegar, salt, pepper, and basil.
2. Slowly drizzle oil into the bowl with the vinegar mix as you whisk it. (This might take two people).
3. Add tomatoes and let sit while you cut bread and toast it.
4. Toast the bread; Place the cut pieces of bread on a cookie sheet and bake in preheated 350 oven for 5 min on each side or until browned.
5. When the bread is toasted rub each piece, on one side, with the cut garlic pieces. Be careful! You do not want too much garlic here. Trust me on this one.
6. Top the toasts with the tomato mixture along with some of the juices.
7. Sprinkle a little cheese on the bruschetta and broil till the cheese melts (you can skip that last broiling bit if out of time and it's equally as wonderful).