So many flavors in this salad! Sweet, spicy, bitter, tangy. And they all go together splendidly!
Kale Citrus Salad – Spring Version
A simple, 30-minute kale salad with sweet and tart fruits, pickled red onions and a simple red wine vinaigrette! Crunchy, filling, fresh and the perfect healthy light lunch or side salad.
QUICK PICKLED ONIONS
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp water
1 large bundle lacinato kale (~4 cups), chopped
1 grapefruit or orange, segmented (reserve any juice)
1 tart apple, cored and chopped
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
pinch sea salt + black pepper
1/2 Tbsp honey
1/3 cup olive oil + more for massaging kale
2 Tbsp orange juice (optional – to brighten the flavor)
1. Pickle onions by mixing red wine vinegar, water and sugar in a small bowl and stirring to dissolve. Add sliced onions and let set in the fridge while prepping the rest of the salad. The liquid should cover the onion, so add a bit more vinegar and/or water if needed.
2. Add kale to a large mixing bowl with 1-2 tsp olive oil and squeeze over reserved grapefruit or orange juice. Use your fingers to massage the kale to break down the bitterness and stiffness.
3. Next add apple, grapefruit or orange segments and set aside.
4. Prepare dressing in a small mixing bowl by whisking vinegar, mustard, sweetener, and salt and pepper. Stream in olive oil while mixing, then taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add a splash of orange juice to brighten up the flavors, but this is optional.
5. Add pickled onions to the salad.
6. Pour the dressing over all and toss and serve. Leftovers keep up to a couple days in the fridge, though best when fresh.